This subject will count towards VCE as well as provide you with a Certificate III in Sport and Recreation. It provides students with the skills and knowledge to work in the Sport and Recreation industry in areas such as sport & recreation officer, fitness industry, sporting coach and greens keeper. Throughout this course, students are required to complete 40 hours of structured workplace learning, per year over the 2 years, within the sport industry.
Unit 1 & 2
- Organise personal work priorities and development Provide first aid
- Participate in workplace health and safety
- Use social media tools for collaboration and engagement Conduct non-instructional sport, fitness or recreation sessions Provide quality service
- Respond to emergency situations
- Participate in conditioning for sport Conduct sport, fitness or recreation events Book athletic travel
Unit 3 & 4
- Participate in WHS hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control Conduct sport coaching sessions with foundation level participants
- Conduct basic warm-up and cool down programs Plan and conduct programs
- Facilitate groups
- Educate user groups
Teamwork, leadership and organisation and initiative
Possible Assessment Tasks
Student complete an online assessment in their iVET portal for each unit covered (in the list above). As well as practical assessments of each unit. Yr12 will also complete SAC’s for each unit and VCE end of year exam to contribute to Atar score.
Students work through their iVET workbooks during theory classes. They also take part in practical classes which include activities such as coaching, officiating, planning and organising events, designing and running fitness training programs and working as mentors to other students at LSC and surrounding schools. They also attend excursions throughout the year to different sport industries. These may include gyms, leisure centres, indoor play centres as well as taking part in outdoor activities.
Possible job outcomes for a student with this qualification may include operational or customer support of sport and recreation programs, grounds and facilities maintenance and working in the service industry in locations such as a fitness centre, outdoor sporting ground or aquatic centres. Also a pathway to Certificate III in Fitness and Diploma of Sport Development.
Year 11 & 12