This unit is designed to provide students with a variety of experiences in science with relevant links to the real world. They will further develop their general skills and knowledge related to the study of science with a focus on selected elements of Biological Science, Chemical Science, Earth and Space Science and Physical Science. An emphasis will be placed on laboratory work; students will learn by using equipment, making observations, gathering information, solving problems and performing experiments. Year 9 science aims to further develop the students’ understanding of the scientific method and purposeful investigation techniques.
- Investigate the interdependencies between biotic and abiotic components of ecosystems
- Explore the ways in which the human body as a system responds to its external environment.
- Begin to apply their understanding of energy and forces to global systems including continental movement.
- Are introduced to the notion of the atom as a system of protons, electrons and neutrons, and understand how this system can change through nuclear decay
- Learn that matter can be rearranged through chemical change and that these changes play an important role in many systems
- Begin to develop a more sophisticated view of energy transfer.
- Explore the physical evidence for different theories, such as the Big Bang theory.
- Students formulate hypotheses and analyse data to draw and evaluate conclusions using primary and secondary sourced evidence.
- Focus on explaining phenomena involving science and its applications.
- Begin to evaluate current scientific views and construct evidence based arguments
- Communicate science ideas for specific purposes
Possible Assessment Tasks
Scientific Reports, Practical investigations, Presentations, Unit tests, Scientific posters, models of concepts.
Class discussion, group work, modelling, designing, investigating.
Year 9 Science provides essential skills for further science studies in VCE in Chemistry, Physics and Biology. It also provides underpinning knowledge for a number of technology subjects and various trades.