In Year 9 Furniture Construction, students are introduced to a range of furniture construction joins and processes to build confidence in the safe use of tools and machinery. Students develop components of a folio that follows the steps and stages of the product design process in preparation for possible continuation into Woodwork and/or Furniture Construction at year 10. Within the folio components, students identify the need and end-user/s to determine the requirements of their intended piece of furniture. Students use a wide range of tools and machinery to produce their intended product as well as documenting progress. Finally, the product and student progress are evaluated and reflected on to close the product design process.
- Onguard Safety Training.
- Introduction to furniture joins, processes and techniques.
- Folio components that includes design brief, visualisations (sketches), design options, scheduled production plan, journal and evaluation.
- Production of the intended design using a range of hand tools, machinery and processes.
- Folio development
- Design Skills -Safe use of Machinery
- Furniture Construction Techniques
- Journaling (writing)
Possible Assessment Tasks
- Folio components of intended product – Includes; design brief, visualisations, design options, working drawing, scheduled production planning.
- Production – Focuses on the production of the intended product. (with Journals and photographic evidence)
- Evaluation – Evaluation report of the product and the skills used/developed in realising the preferred design option.
Design, Industrial Design, Building and Construction, Cabinet Making, Furniture Making.