Content warning: Discussion of suicide ideation
Pride Month is held annually for the month of June, and provides an opportunity to celebrate and advocate for the rights of LGBTQIA+ people, including youth. Although Pride Month started as a commemoration of the Stonewall riots in New York in 1969, it is celebrated internationally and still important today for us at LSC because we know that:
- In regional Australian schools, 78% of LGBTQIA+ youth and teachers regularly witness negative comments about LGBTQIA+ people
- In regional Australian schools, 88% of LGBTQIA+ youth want their teachers to more actively take a stand against negative comments and behaviours about LGBTQIA+ people
- In regional Australian schools, 37% of LGBTQIA+ youth felt safe to come out at school
- In regional Australian schools, 88% of LGBTQIA+ youth felt there was not adequate support for LGBTQIA+ youth in their region
- Australia wide, LGBTQIA+ people experience depression at rates six times higher than the general population
- Australia wide, LGBTQIA+ youth have had thoughts of suicide at rates five times higher than the general population
- When schools regularly support and affirm LGBTQIA+ youth and challenge discrimination, school engagement and wellbeing outcomes improve for LGBTQIA+ students
Below are some resources that:
a) provide support for LGBTQIA+ youth specifically, or
b) that are for everyone, to assist with learning and supporting LGBTQIA+ youth.
We also want to highlight that LSC has wellbeing support available.
- Minus18: minus18.org.au
- Zoe Belle Gender Collective: zbgc.org.au/resources/for-families-and-friends-of-lgbtqi-people/external-resources
- Intersex Human Rights Australia: ihra.org.au
- Transgender Victoria (for friends and family): tgv.org.au/information/for-friends-and-family
- Wear it Purple blog: wearitpurple.org/blog
- Headspace Wonthaggi Group: headspace.org.au (poster PDF)
- Transgender Victoria (for trans people): tgv.org.au/information/for-trans-people
- Rainbow Door: Free web-chat, email and phone-counselling for LGBTQIA+ Victorians: rainbowdoor.org.au
- QLife: Anonymous and free peer support and referral for LGBTQIA+ people: qlife.org.au
Happy Pride Month everyone!