To explain to parents/carers how Leongatha Secondary College will collect, use and disclose photographs, video and recordings of students, how parent/carer consent can be provided and how it can be withdrawn.
This policy applies to the general collection, use and disclosure of photographs, video and recordings (“images”) of students.
This policy outlines the practices that Leongatha Secondary College has in place for the collection, use and disclosure of images of students to ensure compliance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic). It also explains the circumstances in which Leongatha Secondary College will seek parent/carer consent and how consent can be provided and/or withdrawn.
As a general rule, use relates to images which are shared and distributed only within the school for school purposes (i.e. ID photos, Compass), whilst disclosure is used for images which are shared and distributed outside of the school staff and are available to other students, parents/carers and the wider school community.
Leongatha Secondary College will ensure that parents/carers are notified upon enrolment and at the commencement of each school year of the ways in which our school may use images of students. There are many occasions during the school year where staff photograph, film or record students participating in school activities or events, for example classroom activities, sports events, concerts, excursions, camps etc. We do this for many reasons including to celebrate student participation and achievement, showcase particular learning programs, document a student’s learning journey/camps/excursions/sports events, communicate with our parents/carers and school community in newsletters and on the College website.
Leongatha Secondary College will use student images reasonably, appropriately and sensitively, consistent with our obligations under the Child Safe Standards and our school’s Child Safety Policy and Child Safe Statement of Commitment. If at any time a parent/carer or student has a concern about the use of any images they should contact the Principal on 5667 2200.
In addition to the processes outlined below, parents/carers can contact the Front Office on 5667 2200 at any time to withdraw their consent for any future collection, use or disclosure of images of their child. However:
- if the images have already been published and are in the public domain, it may not be possible for consent to be withdrawn.
- there may be occasions when the school will record whole of school or large group events [and make those recordings available to the school community through the College website or social media accounts such as the school concert, speech nights, sports events etc and if your child participates, they may appear in these recordings which will be available to the whole school community.
- the school can still collect, use and disclose images in circumstances where consent is not required (see below for more information).
Official school photographs
Each year Leongatha Secondary College will arrange for a professional photographer to take official school photographs of students. This will generally involve both class photos and individual photos being taken.
Official school photographs may be:
- purchased by parents/carers
- used for school identification cards
- stored on CASES21 for educational and administrative purposes.
Leongatha Secondary College will notify parents/carers in advance of the official school photographs being taken to give them an opportunity to decide whether their child will be included in the official school photographs.
Parents/carers who choose to opt-out of having their child participate in official school photographs must contact the Front Office on 5667 2200 before the date photos are scheduled to be taken to advise that their child will not participate. There is no obligation on any parent or carer to purchase any photographs taken.
Images for use and disclosure within the school community and ordinary school communications
From time to time Leongatha Secondary College may photograph, film or record students to use within the school community, including:
- in the school’s communication, learning and teaching tools (for example, emails, classroom blogs or apps that can only be accessed by students, parents or school staff with passwords eg Compass)
- for display in school classrooms, on notice boards etc
- on the College website
An Annual Consent Form and Collection Notice will be available via email through DocuSign to parents/carers on enrolment and also at the beginning of each school year.
Images to be used or disclosed outside the school community
External use or disclosure by the school
Photographs, video or recordings of students may also be used in publications that are accessible to the public, including:
- on the school’s website
- on the school’s social media accounts
- in the school magazine
The Annual Consent Form and Collection Notice also covers these types of uses and will be available via email through DocuSign to parents/carers on enrolment and also at the beginning of each school year.
The media, or the Department of Education and Training’s media team, may seek to photograph, film or record students for a news story or school event. This may include broadcast media, online or social media or print media, including newspapers and magazine publications.
When our school receives such requests Leongatha Secondary College will:
- provide parents/carers with information about the organisation involved and when/for what purposes the photography, filming or recording will occur
- seek prior, express parent/carer consent in writing.
Students will only be photographed, filmed or recorded by the media at school if express consent is provided for that specific media event. Neither the school nor the Department own or control any photographs, video or recordings of students taken by the media.
Other external collection, use or disclosure
If there is a situation which will involve the collection, use or disclosure of images of students by or to third parties which is not otherwise covered by this policy, Leongatha Secondary College will:
- provide parents/carers with information about the event or activity, the organisation involved and when the photography, filming or recording will occur\
- seek prior, express parent/carer consent in writing.
School performances, sporting events and other school approved activities
Leongatha Secondary College permits parents/carers, students and invited guests to photograph, film or record school performances, sporting events and other school-approved activities.
Leongatha Secondary College requests that parents/carers, students and invited guests who photograph, film or record school activities only do so for their own personal use and do not publish the images in any form, including on social media, without the prior consent of persons whose children also appear in the images.
Neither the school nor the Department own or control any images of students taken by parents/carers, students or their invited guests at school activities.
Images to manage student behaviour or fulfil our school’s legal obligations
On occasion it may be necessary for school staff to photograph, film or record students when necessary to:
- fulfil legal obligations, including to:
- take reasonable steps to reduce the risk of reasonably foreseeable harm to students staff and visitors (duty of care)
- provide a safe and suitable workplace (occupational health and safety law)
- for identification purposes, when necessary to implement discipline and/or behaviour management policies.
Leongatha Secondary College does not require or obtain consent from parents/carers or students to photograph, film or record students for these reasons. However, when Leongatha Secondary College photographs, films or records a student for any of these purposes, staff will only collect and use such images in a way that is reasonable and appropriate in the circumstances.
Further information and resources
The Department’s Policy and Advisory Library: Photographing, Filming and Recording Students